Enhance your breasts with more volume and cleavage!
A breast augmentation is a procedure which adds volume to your breasts with the use of implants. This procedure is helpful in creating an enhanced cleavage for those women who have always had small breasts or to restore the fullness and shape lost after a period of aging, pregnancy, or weight loss. The implants are either filled with saline (physiologic salt water solution) or silicone cohesive gel (a.k.a. “gummy bear” implants since the filling is similar to the consistency of gummy bears).
Your surgeon will discuss your aesthetic goals and have you try-on implant sizers to help you visualize your new look during the consultation. The implants can be placed behind the pectoralis muscle or in some cases behind the breast tissue solely. Scars can be hidden or visible on the breast in differing degrees. Your surgeon is highly skilled in all methods of augmentation, so he or she will discuss which surgical approach and scars you may expect.
Breast Augmentation Before and After
Call us today at (914) 771-7373 to claim your Special Offer!
Our board certified plastic surgeons are happy to assist you with your specific questions and concerns.
What to Expect
Breast Augmentation Pre-operative:
- A breast augmentation is an exciting surgical transformation for your body! The surgeons at Plastic Surgery of Westchester are going to ensure that you are medically- optimized prior to undergoing this procedure.
- If post-partum, you should be done with breast feeding and of a stable weight prior to surgery.
- Please give your surgeons a list of your medications and insight into any pre-existing medical conditions (don’t forget about a history of heart or lung problems, autoimmune diseases, wound healing problems, blood clots, or bleeding disorders).
- Vitamins and anti-inflammatory medications (such as aspirin, Motrin, Advil, and Aleve, etc.) should be discontinued no less than 1 week prior to surgery.
- Smoking is a relative contra-indication to a breast augmentation. We hope that you don’t smoke! Please refrain from any nicotine or tobacco use (including patches, gum and vapor cigarettes) for no less than 4 weeks prior and 4 weeks after your surgery. Remember, any history of smoking can increase your risk for certain complications, such as wound healing problems and infection.
Breast Augmentation Post-operative:
- Most patients find immediate satisfaction after a breast augmentation. As with any surgical procedure, however, there is a period of necessary healing and recovery. The time for healing varies among patients, but the average patient benefits from 3 to 7 days of dedicated recovery and another six weeks of refraining from strenuous activity or heavy lifting.
- When you are better healed, your surgeon will discuss and demonstrate massage and scar care techniques to keep your results looking fabulous!
As always, please bring a list of your questions and concerns to your pre-operative visits. It is important to understand the expectation for recovery based on your individual plan.
Breast Augmentation FAQ’s
The incisions are commonly periareolar (hidden at the junction of your pigmented areolar skin and breast skin) or at the inframammary crease (hidden within the fold underneath your breast).
For most women, the choice of type of implant (either saline or silicone) will be based on personal preference. Your surgeon can help you decide which type of implant may be best for you.
Saline and silicone implants have some similarities and some differences. They are both made with a silicone polymer outer shell which is quite durable. Either can be placed via a periareolar or inframammary incision and behind the pectoralis major muscle or solely behind the breast tissue. In most cases, the implants will be positioned behind the muscle for improved coverage and a more natural appearance. They will also be less susceptible to a condition called “capsular contracture,” which is a known potential risk of having breast implants.
Saline implants are filled with a physiologic salt water solution. In the event of an implant rupture, this fluid will simply be reabsorbed by your body. Silicone implants are filled with a silicone cohesive gel (a.k.a., “gummy bear” implants) that is more like the consistency of a thick gel. It is more difficult to diagnose a rupture with a silicone implant since this gel does not necessarily cause a deflation. Such a diagnosis can be made by your plastic surgeon on physical exam and may require further imaging, such as an MRI.
Either type of implant is safe and effective and can be used for primary breast augmentation, combined with a mastopexy (breast lift), or in reconstruction.
Choosing a size of implant will depend on your personal goals. At you initial consultation, your surgeon will discuss your goals, perform a medical and breast history, physical exam, measurements, and photos. He or she will also have you try on breast implant sizers to help determine which size(s) will help you look and feel fabulous!
Most primary breast augmentation procedures take no more than 1 hour. You will need about an hour to recover before being discharged the very same day.
The surgery can be performed in our AAAASF-accredited, Harrison location ambulatory surgery facility.
Breast augmentation has a fairly straightforward recovery process. You will feel sore for up to 7 days and may need pain medication during this time. Most women are able to return to work during that timeframe. Complete healing can take 6 to 8 weeks. Your surgeon will discuss the care of your scars and implants during your post-operative follow-ups.
As with any surgical procedure, there can be complications. The most common complication is capsular contracture, which is a thickening and/or tightening of the scar capsule around the implant. The longer you have an implant, the more likely this may occur. Capsular contracture presents as a combination of visible deformity or appearance of the implant and sometimes persistent pain. Other complications include post-operative bleeding or fluid collection, pain, adverse scarring, change of nipple sensation, problems with wound healing, asymmetry, desire for a different size, and need for future surgeries to maintain your result.
Facilities & Hospital Affiliations
Our surgeons have hospital privileges at Montefiore Medical Center, Jacobi Medical Center, Westchester Medical Center, Montefiore New Rochelle and New York Presbyterian Lawrence Hospital. They also perform procedures in their fully accredited operating room in Harrison, NY.
Our state of the art facility is professionally designed and decorated for your comfort. We are always interested to know if there is anything we can do to enhance your experience. We appreciate your suggestions and pledge to work as a team to make your time here a rewarding experience.
- Montefiore Medical Center
- Jacobi Medical Center
- Westchester Medical Center
- Montefiore New Rochelle
- New York Presbyterian Lawrence Hospital
Accreditation and Associations
We maintain an AAAASF accredited surgical suite, equipped like a hospital operating room with the privacy and ease of an office setting, offering full general anesthesia for more complex procedures as well as sedation and local anesthesia for other procedures. We enjoy a strong relationship with some of the finest hospitals in the area, offering overnight and extended post-operative stays if medically advisable. This is ideal for our out of town patients, those with little post-operative help, or those desiring a more private recovery. We can also arrange your stay at a variety of hotels within minutes of our facility and arrange an overnight “sitter” if desired.
Claim Your Special Offer!
Schedule your Breast Augmentation Consultation
Please contact us with any questions or if you would like to setup a time for a one-on-one consultation with one of our surgeons.