Improve skin quality and eliminate fine lines and wrinkles.
Laser resurfacing is a procedure to decrease and often remove fine wrinkles and pigmentation on the aging skin of the face. This procedure also increases production of collagen and elastin, further reversing the signs of skin aging. There are multiple variations of this procedure, and the best type of laser treatment for you will be discussed during your consultation with one of our board certified plastic surgeons. There are no incisions; however, since the skin is resurfaced, it takes time to heal and there is associated downtime. This procedure is usually performed under local or general anesthesia depending on the extent and depth of resurfacing and is commonly combined with other rejuvenation procedures.
Downtime is contingent on the depth of your laser resurfacing and overall comfort level. Generally, you will need an initial 10 days of healing and downtime prior to starting mineral makeup for coverage if desired. Our staff is knowledgeable and will educate you on proper post-procedure skin care. Our goal is to provide our patients with a beautiful, flawless result.
What to Expect
Laser Resurfacing Pre-operative:
- Laser resurfacing is a dramatic transformation for the skin of your face! The surgeons at Plastic Surgery of Westchester are going to ensure that you are medically-optimized prior to undergoing this procedure.
- Please give your surgeons a list of your medications and insight into any pre-existing medical conditions (don’t forget about a history of heart or lung problems, autoimmune diseases, wound healing problems, blood clots, bleeding disorders, and especially a history of herpes simplex virus or cold sores!).
- Vitamins and anti-inflammatory medications (such as aspirin, Motrin, Advil, and Aleve, etc.) should be discontinued no less than 1 week prior to this procedure.
- If you have high blood pressure (hypertension), your medical doctor will need to optimize your medication regimen so that your blood pressure is well-controlled prior to surgery
- You should not have any tan and must avoid direct sunlight for approximately 4 weeks prior to your procedure. You will also need to avoid unprotected sun exposure for a period of time after the treatment. Failure to adhere to sun protective measures can lead to hyperpigmentation or adverse scarring, so it is important to follow your specific post-procedure recommendations.
- Although smoking is not an absolute contraindication to this procedure, we hope that you don’t smoke! Please refrain from any nicotine or tobacco use (including patches, gum and vapor cigarettes) for no less than 4 weeks prior and 4 weeks after your surgery. Remember, any history of smoking can increase your risk for certain complications, such as wound healing problems and infection.
Laser Resurfacing Post-operative:
- As with any surgical procedure there is a period of necessary healing and recovery. The time for healing varies among patients, but the average patient benefits from 10-14 days of dedicated recovery and another six weeks of wound care.
- There will be an intense red color to the skin and sloughing of regenerating skin.
- You will be moisturizing the face 2-3 times a day with Aquaphor.
- It is very important to avoid direct sunlight for 10-12 weeks after the procedure, and to frequently use sun protection.
- When you are better healed, your surgeon will discuss skin care strategies to keep your results looking fabulous!
- As always, please bring a list of your questions and concerns to your pre-operative visits. It is important to understand the expectation for recovery based on your individual plan.
Laser Resurfacing FAQs
Because the top layers of the skin are precisely removed, there is some associated pain for the first 3-4 days, similar to a bad sunburn; however, narcotic pain medications are rarely necessary. Our surgeons will discuss pain control options with you.
Although many people are candidates for this procedure, an in-person consultation with one of our board certified plastic surgeons is required to assess your skin type, skin contour and condition. Laser treatments may not be the best options for skin that is dark or tends to tan very easily. Fortunately, our surgeons can recommend better options and alternatives if necessary.
Most laser procedures take approximately 30-45 minutes. You will need about 1 hour to recover before being discharged the very same day.
The surgery can be performed in our AAAASF-accredited, Harrison location ambulatory surgery facility.
You will feel sore for up to 3-4 days and may need some form of mild pain medication during this time. Most people are able to cover the redness with mineral makeup after approximately 10 days and return to work after approximately 2 weeks. Complete healing can take 8-10 weeks. Your surgeon will discuss the care of your skin during your post-operative follow-ups.
As with any surgical procedure, there are potential complications; however, they are uncommon with this procedure. Most common complications include pain and either hyper- or hypo-pigmentation.
Call us today at (914) 771-7373 for a FREE Laser Resurfacing consultation!
Our board certified plastic surgeons are happy to assist you with your specific questions and concerns.
Facilities & Hospital Affiliations
Our surgeons have hospital privileges at Montefiore Medical Center, Jacobi Medical Center, Westchester Medical Center, Montefiore New Rochelle, New York Presbyterian Lawrence Hospital, and White Plains Hospital. They also perform procedures in their fully accredited operating room in Harrison, NY.
Our state of the art facility is professionally designed and decorated for your comfort. We are always interested to know if there is anything we can do to enhance your experience. We appreciate your suggestions and pledge to work as a team to make your time here a rewarding experience.
- Montefiore Medical Center
- Jacobi Medical Center
- Westchester Medical Center
- Montefiore New Rochelle
- New York Presbyterian Lawrence Hospital
- White Plains Hospital
Accreditation and Associations
We maintain an AAAASF accredited surgical suite, equipped like a hospital operating room with the privacy and ease of an office setting, offering full general anesthesia for more complex procedures as well as sedation and local anesthesia for other procedures. We enjoy a strong relationship with some of the finest hospitals in the area, offering overnight and extended post-operative stays if medically advisable. This is ideal for our out-of-town patients, those with little post-operative help, or those desiring a more private recovery. We can also arrange your stay at a variety of hotels within minutes of our facility and arrange an overnight “sitter” if desired.
Schedule your Laser Resurfacing Consultation
Please contact us with any questions or if you would like to setup a time for a one-on-one consultation with one of our surgeons.